The Vape Cartridge Debate
The debate over ceramic vs. metal vape cartridges has been around for a while – just like with anything else, there are people who support one type fully, others who support the other, and still others who don’t really prefer one over the other. Each type of cartridge has its own set of pros and cons, so it really comes down to personal preference. Let’s go over some of the key differences between ceramic and metal vape cartridges to help you decide which is right for you!
Metal Vape Cartridges
Metal vape cartridges are made with, you guessed it, metal. The metal material is used for both the heating element and the chamber in which the oil is stored. Metal, much like ceramic, is a good conductor of heat and can provide a pretty consistent vaping experience.
Pros of Metal Vape Cartridges
- Heats up quickly: since metal conducts heat so well, it heats up quickly, making it ideal for those who want to take a quick puff.
- Even heating: like ceramic, most metal cartridges heat up evenly, so you can expect a consistent vaping experience with each puff.
- Affordable: since metal is a less expensive material than ceramic, metal cartridges often tend to be cheaper than their ceramic counterparts.
Cons of Metal Vape Cartridges
- Can negatively impact flavor: since metal conducts heat so well, it can sometimes affect the flavor of your cartridge, making it taste harsher or more metallic over time.
- Can leach metals into oil: studies conducted here in WA state over recent years have shown that some metal cartridges can leach heavy metals into the oil itself. This can lead to poor taste of the cart, but it can also cause negative health effects over time for those who primarily consume cannabis in cartridge form.
- May cause leaking: if the seals on a metal cartridge aren’t tight enough, oil can leak out. This isn’t a big deal if it’s just a little leakage, but if too much leaks out, it can ruin your cartridge – or whatever it’s stored in, such as clothing or bags.
Ceramic Vape Cartridges
Ceramic vape cartridges are made using ceramic material used for both the heating element and the chamber in which the e-liquid is stored. Ceramic is a great conductor for heat, so it heats up evenly and slowly, providing a consistent vaping experience. Using ceramic vapes can have a little bit of a learning curve, especially for those more familiar with metal vape cartridges. For some best-use tips, check out our blog on getting the most out of your ceramics!
Pros of Ceramic Vape Cartridges
- Even and slow-heating: because ceramic heats up more evenly than most metal carts, ceramic cartridges can provide a more consistent vaping experience with each puff.
- Great flavor: ceramic vaporizes oil more effectively than other materials, resulting in a more affluent, fuller flavor. This can also help to preserve terpenes throughout a cartridge – meaning you’ll get the true taste of a strain throughout the entire cartridge instead of the flavor dropping off halfway through your vape.
- No wicking needed: ceramic cartridges don’t require wicks, so there’s one less thing to worry about when it comes to hardware failure. Here in WA, the majority of dispensaries will only accept returns or exchanges for faulty vape hardware. Fortunately, ceramic cartridges are less likely to send you right back to the dispensary for a replacement!
Cons of Ceramic Vape Cartridges
- Can be pricier: ceramic is a more expensive material than plastic or metal, so ceramic cartridges can sometimes be more cost-prohibitive than other vapes that are available.
- Sensitive to high heat: ceramic may crack or cause the oil inside to burn if you use too much power when vaping with this hardware. It’s always recommended to use your vape battery’s lowest heat setting with ceramic cartridges!
So, Which is Better? Ceramic or Metal Vape Cartridges?
It really comes down to your personal preferences! If you want a consistent vaping experience with great flavor and a cleaner overall product, ceramic is likely the best choice for you. If you’re looking for an affordable option that heats up quickly, metal is a good choice. We truly believe that there’s no “wrong” way to consume cannabis – as long as you’re enjoying your experience, choosing clean cannabis products, and staying safe, whatever methods of consumption you prefer are great!
Thanks for reading,